Wednesday, February 10, 2010

4 a.m.


I know it has been a while since I’ve posted, but we’ve been busy…crazy busy. The past six weeks or so have been a non-stop gaggle of training, chasing training documents, weapons ranges, and the monster of all of it – planning the logistics of moving this entire task force across the ocean with all the proper weapons, computers, radios, personnel, and other miscellaneous equipment needed to fight the conflict formerly known as the Global War on Terror.

Today started with an unexpected four a.m. wake up call from the Tactical Operations Center. Never a good start to a morning. Forty minutes and three more wake-up calls later, I just said to hell with it and got up. Luckily, I just got a fresh re-supply of my favorite coffee, so I brewed a pot, hit the shower, and started the day with full-tilt crisis management. It all seemed to work out in the end, but Chapter Two will come later when I try to crush the skull of the miscreant who started the whole thing by passing along unverified and incorrect information.

Other than that, things are going well. I manage to squeeze in enough time to run or hit the gym every day and I can usually end the day with a little reading time. Depending on my levels of exhaustion, I might only get to a page or two, but I try to stay religious about it. Mike W. was kind enough to loan me Inside Out – Personal History of Pink Floyd, written by long time Floyd drummer Nick Mason. I also picked up a dog-eared copy of Jon Ronson’s book, The Men Who Stare at Goats – which details the efforts by U.S. intelligence and Army Special Forces to explore the psychics and mind-control. The Grant Heslov movie by the same name is based on this book.

Anyway, that’s all that is new in the world of Central Texas Army life. I’ll post up some more soon and I promise to update this more frequently if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment